Friday, September 01, 2006

Google Apps for Your Domain

Just came across this - Google at it again, sneaking up on me. They're really pushing the feature-a-month thing. Actually, it's probably just a case of me waking up late to a lot of things, but man oh man - I'm getting dizzy and I definitely can't keep up with all of MY Google services, forget about all the services on offer. I have revised my browser start page yet again to include Google Maps & Google Local (same thing). And to think all they used to do was search. Check out Google Apps for Your Domain.

All you need is your own domain name. I used one of my spare ones, and within 5 mintues I had email & a website up and running for that domain. (pudding at http://www.techsapiens.com). CRAZY. And FREE. As long as you own a domain (bought from someone else, but it's only a matter of time until there's only ONE domain registrar on the planet, and yes it'll probably be Gdomains or something), Google give you free webspace (I think it's 100MB) , 25 user accounts, email for all users (uses Gmail, so I guess each box gets 2GB+), GoogleTalk, Google Calendar, and Google Page Creator - which as I mentioned, lets you set up a page literally in minutes... it's got a few different layout options, a few dozen templates and actually you can come up with pretty non-ugly pages very quickly.

The page creator is definitely not geared towards designers and developers, since the amount of tuning you can do, and manual control over code is very limited, and even the level of control you have over HTML is restricted to "Select an item on the page and you can edit the HTML for that item". But then again, it's not intended for people who want to write their own code.

Sounds interesting alright..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home